Neil's Travels

Keep up with me on my many trips, business and personal.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Prelude to my adventure

Welcome to my new blog, my online journal of my upcoming trip to Spain and Senegal.

For those of you who do not know, my uncle is the country director for Senegal of the U.S. Peace Corps. He and his family have been in Dakar, Senegal, for more than two years. I had been planning on visiting a year ago, but the untimely loss of my job at the end of 2003 kind of put a damper on that idea.

No more.

Thanks to a boatload of frequent-flier miles, I leave Sunday for Madrid, spend about 2 1/2 days in Spain, then fly to Dakar on Wednesday evening, for 11 days with my uncle's family. I will be there for his birthday on Jan. 14.

For those unfamiliar with Senegal, it is in the westernmost part of Africa, on the Atlantic. It's relatively safe, for that part of the world, but it is poor and largely underdeveloped. I had to have vaccinations for yellow fever, hepatitis A and meningitis, plus polio and tetanus/diphtheria booster shots. I have anti-malarial pills as well.

My disdain for needles notwithstanding, it will all be worth it.

Check this space often for updates and perhaps photos. (I don't have a digital cam, but I'll figure something out).

Happy New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home